So, I didn’t quite get around to making this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Crunchy & Custardy Peach Tart. It sounded lovely, and I even had the world’s most beautiful farmer’s market peaches on hand, luscious and just yielding to the touch and impossibly juicy.
And then, in a perfect marriage of summer flavors and summer cooking, cook them both on the grill, until the peaches bore caramelized grill marks and gave no resistance to the fork, and the poundcake had a crunchy buttery crust that hid the still-soft interior.
Of course, they were not grilled naked. The poundcake was brushed with melted butter, and the peaches were dunked in a honey-butter sauce, with just a hint of cinnamon, before being put on the grill. While they were cooking, the sauce was returned to the heat to thicken for a few minutes, until it was the texture of a warm caramel sauce.
The peaches and poundcake were paired with a honey-vanilla ice cream and drizzled with the creamy honey-butter sauce. A glorious end to a casual dinner of grilled chicken and corn on the cob, and a perfect way to welcome in a balmy summer night.
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, divided use
- ½ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 freestone peaches, halved and pitted
- 6 slices pound cake, sliced ¾-inch thick
- Ice cream of your choice
- Melt the ½ stick of butter in the microwave and set aside for now.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining 1 stick of butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Heat until butter is melted, then dip peach halves in the mixture.
- Grill the peaches for 5 minutes, then flip them, cover, and grill for 5 more minutes. Carefully remove them from the grill, slice each peach half in quarters and cover to keep warm.
- While the peaches are on the grill, continue to heat the honey butter mixture until thick and caramelized, about ten minutes. It will get thicker once it cools down, so err on the side of caution. If you find it's too thick, add some cream or milk and heat it to loosen it back up.
- Once the peaches are off the grill, brush both sides of each pound cake slice with the melted butter. Grill them for about 2 minutes per side, until the slices are crisp and golden.
- Top the grilled poundcake with grilled peaches, cold ice cream, warm honey-butter sauce, and swoon.