This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
Just when you thought Nutella couldn’t get awesomer, someone comes along with the idea of making cupcakes out of it. But not just any cupcakes–four-ingredient cupcakes.
To be honest, I think these are actually even three-ingredient cupcakes, because one of the ingredients (chopped hazelnuts) is a garnish and could easily be omitted with no hard feelings. So the equation is really something like this:
♥ LET'S BE DESSERT BESTIES! ♥
Sign up for the mailing list and become part of the SugarHero Squad. You'll get every recipe sent right to your email, plus first dibs on special offers, news, and more! Love you, mean it!
Our promise: no spam, just sweet sweet sugar.
Nutella + 1 egg + a few spoonfuls of flour + 11 minutes in the oven = CUPCAKE PERFECTION
I know, I had my doubts too. I was mostly worried that they would turn out to be rubbery, in the way that so many fishy pseudo-cupcakes often are. But they were actually moist and fudgy–denser than many cupcakes, but in a good way. These may be small, but they have a lot of flavor from the Nutella “frosting” and crushed hazelnuts on top.
I actually feel a little bad sharing this recipe, because I think it could be dangerous. Delicious cupcakes in 12 minutes with only 4 ingredients? THAT is a recipe that could do some serious damage. But, the upcoming World Nutella Day leaves me no choice. I apologize in advance.
Four-Ingredient Nutella Cupcakes
- 1 cup Nutella spread divided use
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts chopped
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 cups of a mini muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Put 1/2 cup of the Nutella and egg in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and well blended. Add the flour and whisk until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins (about 3/4 full) and bake until a pick comes out with wet, gooey crumbs, 11 to 12 minutes. Don't overbake!
- Set on a rack to cool completely. Once cool, warm the remaining 1/2 cup of Nutella in a small bowl in the microwave just until warm and fluid, about 15-25 seconds. Dip the tops of each cupcake in the Nutella, so that it's completely coated. (You will have extra Nutella left over. I trust you can find something to do with this.) Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with the chopped hazelnuts. These keep for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temperature.