This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
These coconut brownies are the BEST! They’re rich, fudgy brownies with a gooey coconut filling similar to a candy bar. Coconut lovers, this one’s for you!
There are 2 types of people in this world–coconut lovers and coconut haters. If you are a coconut hater you should just keep scrolling, because this recipe is strictly for coconut lovers (or more like LUVAHS) today.
✨ JOIN THE PARTY! ✨
Want to get recipes sent right to your inbox? Sign up for the free SugarHero newsletter! You'll get the first peek at every new recipe, plus fun news, giveaways, special offers, and much more!
Our promise: We'll never send you spam, just sweet, sweet sugar!
These brownies are also extremely easy to make–just check out how to do it with this quick video!
I first made these brownies almost 10 years ago. I was inspired by my love of Mounds candy bars (or Bounty bars, to other parts of the world) and wanted to recreate that sweet, chewy coconut filling in brownie form. After a few experiments I ended up with this recipe, which has two layer of rich, fudgy brownies that sandwich a gooey coconut filling.
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to whip up with just a few bowls and a spatula. The brownies are deep and dark, made with 3 different kinds of chocolate–cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate.
The bittersweet chocolate is a good compliment to the sweet and sticky coconut filling, made with shredded coconut and condensed milk. After spreading half of the brownie batter into the pan, it’s a quick process to dollop the coconut filling onto the brownies in an even layer, the cover the top with a little more chocolatey goodness.
If you are looking for neat brownie squares, you’ll want to let these cool completely before you cut them, unless you enjoy eating your brownies with a fork instead of your hands. (Which, hey, no judgement here!) When they’re warm they’re impossible to cut nicely, but that’s a small price to pay for enjoying warm brownies that positively melt in your mouth.
Enjoy, my little coconut lovers!
The Best Coconut Brownies
For the coconut filling:
- 6 oz shredded sweetened coconut (2 cups)
- 7.33 oz sweetened condensed milk (2/3 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a square 8x8-inch baking dish with foil, extending the foil up and over the sides of the pan. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the shredded coconut and the sweetened condensed milk together in a small bowl, and stir well, until the coconut is evenly moistened. Set aside for now.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine both chopped chocolates and the cubed butter. Microwave until melted, stirring after every 30-45 seconds to prevent overheating.
- Once the chocolates are melted and smooth, add the cocoa powder and whisk it in until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined. Add the warm chocolate mixture and whiks it in. Finally, add the flour and stir it in with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour approximately half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer.
- Dollop the coconut filling on top of the brownie batter, and use the back of a spoon to spread it evenly. I’ve found that this is easiest to do by spooning portions of it over the entire pan, and then smoothing the spoonfuls together. Don’t apply too much pressure, or it will sink into the brownie layer.
- Once the coconut is fairly evenly spread, pour the rest of the brownie batter over it, and spread it into an even layer on top.
- Bake the brownies until they are slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, about 33-35 minutes. If in doubt, err on the side of underbaking them.
- For the cleanest cuts, chill before cutting them into squares. They can be warmed up in the microwave, and are delicious when served warm with ice cream on top.